Monday 20 May 2013

Interview with Ross Muir


Ross Muir successfully negotiated his way through Q School last weekend to earn his two year professional tour card. Ross, from Musselburgh in Scotland, will be competing with the world’s best players in the coming weeks and months and Beyond the Baize was lucky enough to get a few minutes of his time.




Firstly congratulations Ross! How do you feel after the weekend’s success?

To now be competing on tour against some of my idols is a dream come true for me. I feel like I have qualified for the tour via the toughest possible route so I am really looking forward to seeing how I get on.


You practise with fellow Scottish Professional Marcus Campbell, has this helped your development?

My game has progressed so much over the last few months and I can’t thank my practice partner Marcus Campbell enough for the support and help he has given me. I have learned so much from him and I can’t wait to get started with my new calendar.


When will your first tournament be?

The Wuxi Classic will be my 1st pro tournament next Monday, so I have a few days off to recharge and I’ll get back on the practice table and work my socks off.


Moving away from the weekend’s success, what age where you when you started and how did you get into the game?

I started aged 10 in my local club in Musselburgh. At the time I was a goalkeeper for Salvesen boys club and I was scouted by Celtic football club. I loved playing pool and one day my dad said “why don’t you give snooker a go?” and I just fell in love with the game. I had a recurring wrist injury so had to give up football and took up snooker as it was the other game I loved.


Did you watch much snooker growing up and were you inspired by anyone?

Growing up I always enjoyed watching the World Championships on the TV and I was inspired by the likes of Stephen Hendry, Ronnie O’Sullivan and Neil Robertson


What age were you when you made your first century?

It was a week after my 12th Birthday in a club in Broxburn.


What would you say is the biggest strength in your game?

I have a really strong all round game and enjoy both break building and tactical battles.

Do you have any goals for your debut season?

I am not setting myself any targets for my 1st season on tour but I will give every event my all and I know if I find my game I will do well.

Is there a venue you would love to reach this season?
Yes I would love to play at the Crucible again, last time I played there I won the junior pot black.


This season the tour introduces the new flat 128 format draw for most events, do you think this will help young players like yourself?

Yes I believe this is a great change and will benefit up and coming players.

I want to wish Ross all the best in his upcoming years on the professional circuit and thank him for his time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment